DIY Travel Bag to Clutch 1

We travel quite a bit and have acquired far too many of the little ditty bags airlines give you when you fly long distances with them. This is how I made over one of them into a bright tulle clutch. I can't really go step by step with you on this one, but rather I'll inspire you with what I did and encourage you to view the potential in your everyday items.

Here's what it looked like before...

...and here's what it looks like now, along with the inspirational bags I found at Nordstroms (photos from Norstrom.com). I know, I know. It's bright! I wanted to go with a recognizable design in a funky color.


Here's how I did it. First, I took off the Jet Star tag and painted the whole thing a shade that would be camouflaged under the tulle color I brought.

I then started hot gluing on the tulle in a design inspired by one of the bags from Nordstroms.

Continuing with the inspiration, I used my puff ball (pom pom) tutorial to make small puffs of tulle to apply to the middle of the bag.

After applying the pleating to the front and back and applying the puffs of tulle to the front, I added side loops for the chain handle. (Nice manicure, Rose)

I also put the top, side, and bottom tulle on to finish it.


Here's the back.


Lastly, I tied on the chain and replaced the zipper pull with a small amount of...you guessed it...tulle.

I can't wait to wear this sucker. It's quite a pop of color!

I plan on doing more of these makeovers (Jeebuz knows we have enough of these bags lying around), so stay tuned!

Tomorrow's post: Tea dye for! Heh heh heh.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Another great project! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete